Summertime is the season of picnics, outdoor barbecues, and hikes through the park. But with all that fun in the sun comes a whole new host of pests to worry about – like ticks.
Ticks are one of the most dreaded and loathed summer pests, and for a good reason: they may carry dangerous diseases. Contact a Raleigh pest control firm near you for same-day service if you're worried about ticks in Raleigh. They'll take care of the ticks so you can enjoy your summer.
The Deer Tick
There are several different ticks in Raleigh, but the deer tick is the one you should be most worried about. This tiny, brown tick can carry Lyme disease, which, if left untreated, can cause a wide range of health problems, including joint pain, neurological issues, and even death.
Other ticks found in Raleigh include:
- The Lone Star Tick: This brown and white tick can carry Rocky Mountain spotted fever. The bite of a lone star tick is usually painless, but they cause severe allergic reactions in some people.
- The American Dog Tick: This tick can carry Rocky Mountain spotted fever, but the good news is that they're not known to transmit Lyme disease. If this tick bites you and brings a disease, it will manifest as flu-like symptoms.
- The Brown Dog Tick: This tick is brown, small, and flat. They're not known to carry any diseases, but they can cause severe allergic reactions in some people.
If you want to get rid of ticks in your Raleigh yard, you need to contact an exterminator in your area. They'll be able to spray your yard for ticks and other pests, so you can enjoy the summer without worrying about them.
Deer Tick Carry Lyme's Disease
Ticks in Raleigh carry a variety of diseases, but the deer tick's Lyme disease is by far the worst. If left untreated, it can cause neurological issues, joint pain, and even death.
The bite of an infected deer tick is the cause of Lyme disease. The signs and symptoms of Lyme disease can vary but often include:
- A red rash around the bite site can resemble a bull's eye or target (it may be warm to the touch)
- Flu-like symptoms, such as fever, body aches, and fatigue
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Headache, stiff neck, dizziness
- Swelling in the knees or other joints
- Bell's palsy
These symptoms are usually mild at first and develop slowly over several weeks. If left untreated, Lyme disease can cause more severe health issues, including:
- Facial palsy
- Heart rhythm issues
If you think you may have a tick problem, get yourself reliable tick extermination services from a pest control company. They’ll help you identify ticks, treat the problem, and keep your family safe from the dangers of these little critters.
Why Deer Ticks Bite?
Most ticks are not aggressive and will only bite humans if they brush up against them. However, the deer tick is known for being particularly aggressive and seeking out human blood. You will find them in tall grass or wooded areas, so be extra careful when hiking or camping in those environments.
If you do find a tick on your body, don't panic. Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the surface of the skin as possible. To remove the tick altogether, gently pull upwards.
If you see any part of the tick's mouthparts still embedded in the skin, use a sterile needle to remove them. Don’t use petroleum jelly or nail polish. If you're worried about getting ticks in your yard, contact an exterminator for reliable tick control services.
How You Can Protect Yourself From Deer Ticks
Tick prevention is more important than reacting to an infestation. It would help if you considered natural tick prevention tactics as they are safe and environmentally friendly. However, the ultimate means of protecting yourself from deer ticks is contracting professional tick extermination services.
At Pest & Termite Consultants, we use various methods to get rid of ticks in your yard, including traditional pesticide spraying, tick tubes, and natural tick prevention treatments. Call us today to learn more about our tick control services.