Rodents often cause mixed emotions. On one side of things, mice, rats, and hamsters make decent pets. We see these creatures at the pet store and are well aware that we could buy and bring one home at any moment. While this is true, we also know that rodents make terrible pests. When wild rats and mice squeeze their way into homes, they are a big problem. To help you understand how big of a problem rodents are and to help you keep them off of your Raleigh property, here are some secrets, tips, and tricks you should know.
Why Rodents Are Such A Problem
We like to call rodents a triple-threat pest because they cause every problem in the book. These invasive creatures are annoying with how they scamper around at night, scare property owners, and evade danger. They are destructive with the way they tear apart insulation, rip up clothing, damage fabrics, chew through walls, damage boxes of food, and gnaw on the legs of furniture. And they are dangerous with the way they spread diseases. They spread diseases like salmonellosis, hantavirus, and rat-bite fever via their bodies and through their fecal dropping and urine.
Exclusion Tips To Keep Out Rodents
One great way to keep rodents out of your home or business is to limit their access to entry points. Even holes, gaps, and cracks the nickel size are large enough for rodents like mice to get inside. Here are a few ways to make sure your home or business’s exterior is properly sealed.
- Use a caulking gun and some steel wool to fill in gaps, cracks, and holes in your home or business’s exterior foundation and spacing around window/door frames.
- Address damage to window/door screens, weatherstripping, and door sweeps.
- Make sure your home or business’ siding, roofline, and shingles are in good condition.
- Install a cap on your chimney.
- Install metal screens over out spouts and exterior ventilation.
Ways To Make Your Property Less Attractive To Rodents
Your property has many things that make it attractive to rodents, such as left-out food, moisture, and places to hide. To ensure these pests stay outside where they belong, here are a few helpful tips to use in and around your Raleigh home or business.
- Eliminate clutter and debris from around your yard.
- Trim back bushes and tree branches to at least five feet from your home or business’ exterior.
- Thoroughly clean your property once a week and do your best to keep clutter to a minimum.
- Address food messes and drink spills as they occur.
- Store leftover food inside airtight containers.
- After your pets finish a meal, clean out their food and water bowls.
The Difficulties In Eliminating Rodents
Preventing rodents is a lot easier than eliminating these pests after they get indoors. If you have ever dealt with an infestation of these pests in the past, you already know how elusive, smart, and frustrating they are. It is not uncommon to find triggered traps with the bait stolen from them but no dead rodents.
When Its Time To Call In A Professional
The only way to avoid the frustrations of handling rodents on your own is to get a professional involved. At Pest & Termite Consultants, we have invested tremendous time and money into our rodent control. With just one phone call, we will walk you through all of your options to get these pests out of your home and present you with some great professional options to keep them out in the future.